Applying to UMN and Other US Schools

Here you will find many resources that can help you apply for admission to degree programs after MELP

The majority of full-time IEP students exiting MELP get admitted to degree programs in the United States. Our goal is to help students meet their academic goals. In addition to the University of Minnesota, some students seek admission to other colleges and universities. Here is how MELP can help:

1. Students at MELP improve their English language skills to meet the English proficiency requirements for study at a college or university.

2. MELP can make English proficiency recommendations for students who are applying to degree programs to at the University of Minnesota. Undergraduate and Graduate Admissions* accept the MELP End of Term Assessment or completion of all Level 4: High-Advanced ESL classes in the Intensive English Program with an average grade of 80% or higher.

*Please note that these scores are the minimum University requirements for admission to Graduate School.  Check with your graduate program of interest to determine if they have additional English proficiency requirements.


3. In addition to the University of Minnesota, many local colleges and universities accept English proficiency recommendations from MELP. 

Need an English Proficiency Recommendation Letter from MELP?

Submit the MELP English Proficiency Recommendation Letter - Request Form!

Admissions Session & Workshop

The Admissions session and workshop are offered most semesters. Attend these event to learn about the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities and other local schools! Admissions experts will talk about the applying to their colleges and universities, and will answer any questions you have about applying for undergraduate or graduate programs. Check the IEP Activities Calendar (under MELP Events & Activities) to find the date & time for these event.